It’s totally been one of those weeks, guys. I didn’t get to my meal prep this week, but I did prep the ingredients for these Greek Chicken Wraps. Because of all the chaos, this is more of a “semi-homemade” recipe. I bought flatbread and hummus from the store (Aldi) instead of making my own Naan and hummus, and the cost of the convenience definitely showed in the final price of the wraps. But guess what? Eating on a budget is always a give and take situation. Sometimes you give on the price and take on the convenience. And in the end I still made enough food for six sandwiches for about the same price as one lunch out. 😉
Meal Prep It!
Each of the elements of this wrap sandwich will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days so I can quickly and easily build a sandwich on demand. And if you’re trying to do low-carb for the new year, just throw these ingredients onto a bed of crunchy Romaine instead of into a wrap and you’ll be good to go. It’s like a shawarma salad!
Greek Chicken Wraps
Prep the ingredients for these Greek Chicken Wraps to keep on hand to build fresh wraps or salads all week. Servings 6 wraps Prep 40 minutes Cook 30 minutes Total 1 hour 10 minutes Save RecipeSaved! Print Recipefrom votes
Garlic Marinated Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil ($0.52)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice ($0.18)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced ($0.24)
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano ($0.15)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.05)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.8 lbs.) ($5.47)
Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek style yogurt ($0.58)
- 1/2 tsp dried dill ($0.05)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.05)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes ($1.99)
- 1 cucumber ($0.99)
- 1/4 red onion ($0.15)
- 6 pieces flatbread ($2.29)
- 10 oz. container hummus ($1.79)
- Prepare the garlic chicken marinade first. In a gallon-sized zip top bag or shallow dish combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper. Add the chicken thighs, close the top of the bag, and massage the ingredients to combine. Let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the dill yogurt sauce. In a small bowl combine the Greek yogurt, dried dill, lemon juice, and salt. Set the sauce aside
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half, dice the cucumber, and thinly slice the red onion. Place the red onion in a bowl of ice water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes to take the sharp edge off the flavor.
- After the chicken has marinated for 30 minutes, cook the chicken thighs in a skillet over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until well browned and cooked through. Cook the chicken in two batches to prevent over crowding the skillet, which will prevent browning. Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To build the wraps, smear each flat bread with a couple tablespoons of hummus, pile some sliced chicken on top, then top with a handful of tomatoes, cucumbers, and a few slices of onion. Add a few dollops of the dill yogurt sauce, wrap the bread around the filling, and enjoy!
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
Serving: 1ServingCalories: 609.65kcalCarbohydrates: 46.12gProtein: 38.25gFat: 32.2gSodium: 1124.97mgFiber: 5.57g Read our full nutrition disclaimer here. Have you tried this recipe?Mention @budgetbytes or tag #budgetbytes on Instagram!
How to Make Greek Chicken Wrap – Step by Step Photos
Begin with the garlic chicken marinade, since you want the meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes. In a gallon-sized zip top bag or a shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juices, 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and some freshly cracked pepper. Add six boneless, skinless chicken thighs, close up the bag, and mix everything together until the thighs are well coated. Let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the dill yogurt sauce. Combine 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp dried dill, and 1/4 tsp salt.
Mix it all together and set the sauce aside.
Slice one pint of grape tomatoes, dice one cucumber, and thinly (very thinly) slice 1/4 red onion. If you’re looking for something to do with the rest of your red onion, try making pickled red onions! They’re amazing.
If you find red onions to be too strong for you here is a cool trick: soak them for 5-10 minutes in ice water! It really takes the edge off. Another tip is to slice them as thinly as possible. That’s SO important with red onions.
After the chicken thighs have marinated, cook them in a skillet over medium heat, for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they are very well browned and cooked through. I suggest doing it in two batches because if you over crowd the skillet they will stew in the juices and will not brown.
Transfer the cooked chicken thighs to a cutting board, let them rest for about 5 minutes, then slice.
To build your wrap, smear a couple tablespoons of hummus onto a flatbread…
Add some of the sliced chicken…
Add tomato, cucumber, and red onion…
Then add some of that yummy dill yogurt sauce! That’s my favorite part.
Wrap ’em up and enjoy!