You guys know how I feel about cabbage, right? It’s like, the best thing ever. It’s super cheap, doesn’t spoil quickly, is super healthful, and can easily bulk out a meal. Braised Red Cabbage is one of those super simple side dishes that takes very little effort and can work as a side to a variety of meals. In the summer you have coleslaw, in the winter you have braised cabbage.
(pictured above with Pressure Cooker Chicken and mashed potatoes)
I love serving Braised Red Cabbage with savory dishes like roasted meat and mashed potatoes and find that it’s light, tangy flavor helps lighten the sometimes heavy feel of fall and winter meals.
Plus the color! OMG the color. It’s like have a pile of jewels on your plate. If you want to enhance the color even more and happen to be opening a bottle of red wine to serve with your dinner, try adding a splash of the wine to the liquid during the braising. 👌
Braised Red Cabbage
Braised Red Cabbage is an easy, cost efficient, and healthful side for your comforting winter meals.
Servings 5 1 cup each Prep 10 minutes Cook 30 minutes Total 40 minutes Save RecipeSaved! Print Recipe
- 2 Tbsp butter ($0.26)
- 1 yellow onion ($0.32)
- 2 lbs red cabbage (about 6-8 cups shredded) ($1.09)
- 1 granny smith apple ($0.70)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar ($0.24)
- 1/4 cup water (or more as needed) ($0.00)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.03)
- Finely dice the onion and add it to a large pot along with the butter. Sauté over medium to medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and transparent.
- While the onions are sautéing, finely shred the cabbage and thinly slice the apple. Add the cabbage, apple, vinegar, water, and salt to the pot. Turn the heat to medium, place a lid on the pot, and let the cabbage cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender (20-30 minutes, depending on your desired texture). If the bottom of the pot begins to dry up, add another 1/4 cup water.
- Taste the cabbage and season with freshly cracked pepper or more salt or vinegar if desired.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
Serving: 1ServingCalories: 128.6kcalCarbohydrates: 20.94gProtein: 3.1gFat: 4.8gSodium: 370.76mgFiber: 5.3g Read our full nutrition disclaimer here. Have you tried this recipe?Mention @budgetbytes or tag #budgetbytes on Instagram!
How to Make Braised Red Cabbage – Step by Step Photos
Finely dice a yellow onion and add it to a large pot with 2 Tbsp butter. Sauté over medium to medium-low heat for about five minutes, or until the onions are tender and transparent.
While the onions are sautéing, finely shred one head of red cabbage (about 2 lbs. or 6-8 cups shredded) and thinly slice one granny smith apple. Add them to the pot along with 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp and 1/2 tsp salt.
Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat to medium (if not already) and cook the cabbage, stirring every few minutes or so, until it’s wilted. Depending on how soft you like it, you’ll want to cook the cabbage for about 20-30 minutes. If the bottom of the pot begins to dry up, add another 1/4 cup water. Once finished, taste the cabbage and add some freshly cracked pepper, and more salt or vinegar if desired.
SO GOOD. (and so cheap.) 😉